Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Get Your Brain Overhauled Here: Morgantown's Mind Garage, 1967 -- 1970

While searching the internet for some source material on a piece on the history of underground music in Morgantown that I've been writing for Couches on Fire, I ran across an amazing website that chronicles the adventures of Morgantown's leading '60s psychedelic rock band.

Now I have some ultra-cool clippings, posters and pictures to accompany the tape (of the MG's first two RCA -- yes that RCA -- LPs) that this guy made me.

Just in time too, as the band will be releasing a CD of demo tapes very soon, and a reunion show (to occur in 2007) is in the works.

Stay tuned, if you can find the station,

J

4 Comments:

Blogger miafrate said...

Interesting that they seem to have been pretty popular for their "Electric Mass," performed at various Episcopal churches!

6:29 AM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said...

yes, and the electric mass has an appropriate (and really cool!) gospel feel to it.

11:12 AM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Skull-Shaped Maracas said...

an interesting sidenote -- the 'early years' cd was mastered by none other than RICK RAVENSCROFT, the drummer for BILLY MATHENEY and the FRUSTRATIONS. how cool is that?

11:18 AM, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey my dad went to some psych rock shows when he was here back then, he graduated in '72. I wonder if he ever caught them. I'll ask him when I'm in Charleston next week. There was this one band whose name I forgot, and I found an LP of theirs at Joanie's for him. More of a psych-blues thing. I'll find the name when I see him.

10:54 AM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home